Saturday, March 26, 2011

Scarecrow Blonde EP Launch

I wasn’t planning on reviewing this band when I went to their EP launch at Bendigo Hotel last night. Months ago I had promised a friend I would go, I wasn’t expecting a whole lot from them.

Obviously, due to my writing this review my mind, was changed. Almost a year ago I’d seen Scarecrow Blonde at one of their first few shows at The Birmingham (rip), and didn’t think much of them. A-typical of an underground punk-rock band, a lot of bland noise and predictable lyrics, with the exception of the lead guitarists, whose superior talent overshadowed the rest of the band, and was constantly referenced by his numerous guitar solos.

Their EP launch really displayed the vast changes the band had undergone over the past year. The highly energetic and vibrant performance showed just how much the band had matured since I’d ast seen them, rather than sounding like an attempt at mid 90s Greenday covers, the band had found their own sound. The ‘showy’ guitar solos had also disappeared, and the superior guitar work had been worked into the tracks in a way that did not prove detrimental to the other band members.

With Scarecrow Blonde’s enormous growth over the past year it is hard to not imagine what else they must have ahead of them. Definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment